Wide Area Network or WAN is an outlet or plug on a network device which is wired to an external network generally which is an internet connection. Generally, a WAN port is an RJ-45 Ethernet port on a router that is wired to a cable or any modem.
The following blog is about when you are unable to detect Wan on your TP-Link router. A WAN or wide area network connects different LANs and can be limited to any organization. In case there is no internet connection when you installed your TP-Link router then there will be no WAN IP address on the router’s status page.
You need to follow the below-given steps to fix the issue of TP-Link router not detecting WAN.
- You can check the physical connection between the router and modem. In case you see any message flashing as ‘WAN port is unplugged’ on the status page of your router which means the modem is not plugged on into the WAN port of your router. Kindly plug it in properly and check that the message is gone.
- You can also clone the MAC address of your PC. Because some of the ISP register the MAC address of your computer while you connect to the internet for the first time through the cable modem, in case you use or add any router in your network to share your internet. So, here we need to clone the MAC address of your PC because it will not accept the router’s MAC address.
- Verify that the TP-Link router with which you were connected earlier with the cable modem is connected to your device. Log into the management page and then click ‘Network’ and then click on the option of ‘MAC clone’ which will be on the left side.
- Now click on ‘clone MAC address’ which will clone the computer’s MAC address to the WAN MAC address to your router.
- Mostly the TP-Link router uses http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 as the default IP address which will be contrary with the IP range of your modem and router. If this happens then your router is not able to connect with your modem and also you cannot connect to your internet connection. To fix this problem you need to change the LAN IP address of your router. Click on the ‘network’ option and then the ‘LAN’ option on the left side of the menu. Here you can easily change your IP address to the new one.
- The next time you need to use the IP address you will use the new IP address to connect to the management page.
- You can also power cycle your modem and router. To perform the power cycle follow the steps mentioned as under:
- Power off your modem and TP-Link router and leave both off for one minute.
- Now power on your router first.
- Then power on your modem. You need to wait for 2 minutes.
- Now wait for another 1 or 2 minutes and then check the internet connection.
- In case it still did not work then you can double check the WAN connection type. For this follow the steps as under:
- In the status menu, click on ‘Network’ and then in the left menu click on ‘WAN’ to connect to correct ‘WAN connection type”.
- And then ‘save’ to save your changes.
- Now power cycles your modem and router after saving your changes.
Thus, by pursuing the above-given steps you can easily resolve the issue of TP-Link router not detecting WAN. For further information, you can also call us on our toll-free number.